Friday, May 11, 2012

Teacher Feature

Welcome to The ESOL Odyssey's Teacher Feature! Once a month, I will be featuring one amazing teacher who works with English Language Learners in the classroom. If you are interested in becoming a featured teacher, please fill in this form!

Meet Valerie Young!


Location:
Montreal, Canada

Tell us a little about your teaching career:
I have a bachelors degree in Kindergarten and Elementary Education and a Masters degree in Inclusive Education at McGill University. I have been teaching for 6 years. I have taught all grade from K-6. I am currently a resource teacher for grades 1 and 2.

What's your favorite thing about being a teacher?
I love when a student gets an "AH-HA moment" and you just know that he/she finally got it! It's a wonderful feeling!

What is your experience teaching English Language Learners?
I am a special education teacher and I teach grades 1 and 2. I work with small groups (I take them out of class one hour per day) and concentrate on teaching them basic reading skills in order for them to cope in their regular classrooms.

Tell us about the English language learners you teach.  
Most of my students are French speaking (I teach in Quebec, Canada). English is a second language for them. Their reading skills range from preschool to grade 2 levels.

How do you differentiate learning in your classroom to meet the needs of your English language learners?
I work with 4 classes of cycle one (grades 1 and 2). I test all my students' reading progress several times a year and group them according to their abilities. I have too many students who are at risk in each of my classes so I separate my time in half and give each of my small groups 30 minutes a day.

In the classroom I....
love using technology in the classroom. I feel that it is a great way to motivate students and grab their attention!

Outside the classroom I....
I have been married for a year and a half. I am a mother of a 3 year old boy and I am pregnant with my second son (due any time). I love spending time with my son and enjoy giving him as many real-life learning experiences as I can!

I bet you didn't know that I....
I was a cheerleader for 10 years!

Share your links with us: 

My TpT Store
My Facebook


Thanks, Valerie, for being part of the Teacher Feature! I hope to hear from and about many more of you!


No comments:

Post a Comment