Thursday, March 29, 2012

More Main Idea- and some foldables!

Today I followed up our last main idea lesson with some more main idea fun- Main Idea Bags! These are ziploc bags filled with pictures that all have a common theme, or "main idea". Students list the items in their bag, then figure out what all of these items have in common and how they can be used. Finally, they have to come up with a main idea sentence for their bag.

Once they have determined the main idea, they use a main idea foldable, and they write the main idea at the bottom. They then use the pictures to write detail sentences to match their main ideas. They writ the details on each of the flaps, and then draw a picture to go with each detail under the flap. The students had a great time with this and came up with great main idea & supporting detail sentences. I almost wish we didn't have to take a break from main idea for Spring Break, because I really think they are starting to get it! Here's a shot of the final product:




Here are some close-ups of the Main Idea Foldables themselves:



Click the button below to purchase my Main Idea Activities & Printables from my TpT Store, which includes instructions for this wonderful activity!



I really love using foldables in my classroom. This particular foldable is perfect for main idea and details. If you also love foldables, or would like to get some ideas for how to use them in your classroom, visit Laura Candler's Corkboard Connections for a foldables linky party!






10 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up! This is a great lesson, and I just shared it with my Facebook fans. Thanks for all the photos and detailed information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I love your main idea bags. What a fabulous idea1 I'm a huge fan of foldables also. I found your blog from Lorraine's Linky Party and am your newest follower. If you get a chance, stop by my blog.

    Have a great weekend!
    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krista,
      Thanks for coming by and following! I'm heading over to checkout your blog now!

      Thanks!
      Laurah J.

      Delete
  3. Hi Laurah!

    Love, love, love this idea! Thanks for sharing the idea.
    Samantha
    Ms.Smarty Pants

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantasstic idea! This is a great way for me to introduce 'Main Idea' to my little grade ones! The concept is so abstract for their little minds, but with this I think they will be able to really grasp the meaning of 'main idea.'
    Thanks for sharing!

    Kim
    http://gradeonedoodlebugs-kim.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Thanks so much! I look forward to hearing how it goes!

      Laurah J.

      Delete
  5. Found this on Pinterest when I was looking for ideas for Main Idea! Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad I found your blog.

    Megan
    I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to help little ones understand main idea!

    ReplyDelete